Sunday, July 1, 2012

Staying motivated

I turned 30 today. 3-0. Back in my teens I used to think 30 was so old. Now I realize it's just the beginning. I had a 20s full of adventures and I don't plan to slow down in my 30s, the adventures are just going to be a little different...

Honestly I don't really have many goals for my 30s. I've been pretty happy with my life so far. Great family, great friends, married a wonderful man, own my own small business and have had the luck to travel all over the world...I guess if I had to set goals, maybe I'd aim to own a house. Have some kids. Continue to travel the world. Take more time to enjoy life and of course become healthier. That is actually the one thing I want to achieve while I'm 30: health and fitness.

This weekend though I've been a bit derailed and I realized how easy it is to lose motivation and attempt to throw in the towel. Despite having the best intentions to keep working out and eating healthy this entire weekend, my birthday has caused a change in plans. I had been working out at night, but this weekend my routine has been interrupted by cookouts, camping and tonight a nice dinner out. My diet has included more cake and alcohol than I would normally consume and while I know I can workout in the morning, I have been enjoying sleeping in and being lazy.

Not a bad thing to do your birthday weekend, except in my case I didn't log any of my meals (I know I'm over and I'd rather not see it), but then I did make a trip to the scale, which of course was absolutely depressing, so I felt guilty, which led to anger and then self-pitty, which I know will eventually lead to me wanting to give up.

As I watched myself go through the routine I realized that all I was doing was breaking myself down and taking the easy way out and this time I wasn't going to let my brain win!

Us humans are so hardwired for short-term success, for easy and immediate results, but the truth is, this is a journey, a lifestyle, a long-term commitment and I cannot let some short-term failures get in the way. I'm going to drink every now and then, I'm going to cheat and eat unhealthy occasionally and I'm going to skip a workout day here and there. These things are insignificant in the larger picture. They are not failures, they are part of life and as long as they are the exceptions I will reach my goal.

Stay focused on the final goal. This is what I have been chanting to myself on my runs and during my killer abs routine or when I'm really craving to binge eat. Now I realize this is also what I need to chant to myself on off-days. As Einstein said, "you never fail until you stop trying" and this time I don't plan on failing, I don't plan on giving up!


No comments:

Post a Comment