Thursday, July 5, 2012

Listen to your body, but don't use excuses

In the commotion of these past few days, I forgot to mention that I fell off my bike on Monday. I was looking back so I could merge with traffic, while my husband, who was ahead of me slowed down, and before I knew it we were having a Tour de France collision moment (did anyone see those on TV last night?) Luckily we were going very slow and only I fell off the bike. Even luckier was that the EMS truck was across the street from us when it happened and responded in less than 5 seconds. What are the chances?

I'm happy to report that the injuries were nothing major. Just some scrapes, a few bruises and 2 nasty cuts caused by my peddles. I hate those stupid pedals! I'm always hurting myself on them and am definitely getting new pedals and one of those helmet rearview mirrors. Safety first!

The one downer is the the bruise on my right thigh and the one on my left knee have limited my ability to run.

I tried it briefly on Tuesday and again on Wednesday and the pounding of my feet on the pavement sent shooting pains towards the various injuries. I'm bummed, but I know better than to ignore my body. I'm all for pushing through muscle soreness, but real injuries need time to heal. It is after all about being healthy!

I am however also aware of how easy it is to use excuses and find reasons to not work out. Despite riding my bike a few times, the scale has not been my friend this week and I have been tempted to slouch on the couch with a box of cookies. Ugh, stupid mind, stay focused! I keep telling myself muscle weighs more than fat and it's going to take time before I see real results. I just have to keep pushing!

Today, I'm going to try a 20 min run. The injuries are healing nicely and it should be doable. If I do feel pain (my left knee hurts when I stand for too long), I won't run, but I'm also not going to skip a day. That would be too tempting! I'll just do something else, like a bike ride. Yesterday was a rest day, today I need cardio, no excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment