Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Enjoy every second

Today a childhood friend of mine passed away. She was 31 years old, happy and about to become a mother (both she and the baby passed). I had not been in touch with her much in recent years, but just yesterday she posted a birthday message on my Facebook and I was thinking about writing her back to ask her how her pregnancy was going. Her most recent updates had all been so happy and positive. She seemed to be having the time of her life and it seems unreal and definitely unfair that her life has been cut so short. 

The sadness of the news did not immediately hit me. At first I was just in shock that life could just be over in a flash. Then as I got back on my bike, it hit me and I spent some time crying as I rode. After a while I started reflecting on life and how we take it for granted sometimes. My cousin, who I love dearly for example, did not have the wake-up call I expected, because just a few days ago she had someone bring her a Burger King burger while in the hospital. Needless to say my mother was furious, but I was mostly sad. Sad that someone who has been given a chance to change her life and maximize the time she has on this earth, is not taking the steps needed to change. I don't expect her to never eat burgers again. That would go against my vision of making being healthy a lifestyle, not a temporary diet. It would also be hypocritical, because just last night I had a burger for dinner myself. The difference is that I rode my bicycle for 90 minutes and knew that my calories would allow it...she on the other hand is in the hospital...

An unexpected fall down the stairs can end your life, why do anything to yourself that will increase your chances of living a short life? You're only given one chance, so you make the best of it. Enjoy every second of your life and never your life for granted. 

Daily Summary:
Cardio: 90 min bicycling
Strength: none
Calories: 2100 (slightly over what it should've been)

No comments:

Post a Comment