Monday, June 3, 2013

From chore to habit

Let's admit it, at one point in your life (maybe right now) working out felt like a chore. I know it did for me. I'd drag myself to my workouts, making all kinds of excuses for why it was okay not to go.

Now I crave the workouts. I anxiously await my workday to end so I can jump in the pool, hop on my bike or put on my running shoes. I no longer make excuses not to workout, it's a habit. It's a need, it's part of my every day routine and a day without some activity feels strange.

How did I get here? As a behavior analyst I definitely looked at the patterns that helped me, and can help you, make working out a habit instead of a chore.

Here's some of the things that helped me:
1. If you don't love it now, you have to build up your love for it. In behavioral terms you have to condition or pair it. That said, pick activities you like, do it with people you like and find little ways to reward yourself.

2. It takes time. Don't expect to hate it today and love it tomorrow. Slowly build up how much time you spend working out and always celebrate small successes.

3. Challenge yourself. Let's admit it, humans are competitive. It's good to have a workout routine, but make sure you're constantly challenging yourself so it doesn't get boring.

4. Take advantage of technology! You could say that I'm an fitness app addict.
My favorites are: MyFitnessPal (food & exercise log), Jawbone Up (wristband and app that tracks steps and sleep), Strava (for cycling), Nike+ (for running), EveryMove (rewards you for working out), PearSports (requires you to purchase their heart rate monitor but it's awesome and ill write a review soon), BodyShot (tracks your weight loss progress) and TrainingPeaks (athlete's version of FitnessPal).

(If you know cool apps I haven't mentioned here, please message me! I'd love to try them!)

5. Do it for yourself. You might need some external motivation like a margarita, cupcake, Facebook likes, new outfit or half marathon medal, but your internal motivation is crucial to make your workouts part of your daily routine. Find your personal reasons for doing it and make it your mantra.



No comments:

Post a Comment